Wednesday, July 20, 2005

New law: no Speedos

I had the opportunity to go to a region called “Narich” for the past two days. It is a collection of lakes that were formed when glaciers scooped out the dirt and then melted. Since the weather here in Belarus is much colder than in the States, and these lakes were a couple hours north of here, it was a might bit chilly in them! By far my favorite lake was one about two miles in diameter, and one could walk about a half mile out and still touch the bottom of the lake with your head above water! That’s very nice for the aquatically-challenged folk like me and my family. So after swimming just long enough in the chilly water so that I couldn’t feel my legs anymore, I came back into the shore and changed into dry clothes. I was there with the Nebel family and a Belarusian named Maxime who served as the translator and guide for us. Once we were all warm, Mr. Nebel made a campfire and we sat around enjoying the warmth. There are no graham crackers or marshmallows over here, but I attempted a couple cooking experiments to make them, and using some delicious Belarusian chocolate, we had something that somewhat resembled s’mores. After two days of an absolutely wonderful experience (minus the old men in Speedos), it was back to Ratomka and the work there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home